Thursday, September 6, 2007

I'm a Christian But I March to the Beat of My Own Drum (Part 3, Final)

I wanted to follow-up to a comment that was made on part 2 on the front page. I normally would not do this, but I can't resist for two reasons: 1) The comment is extremely relevant to the conversation because I think it probably represents a popular reaction. 2) It was posted anonymously so I do not feel as though I am singling anyone out publicly. If a name were attached to the comment I would not put the comment on the front page, rather I would only respond through another comment as is my usual practice.

So here is the comment and my response...

Anonymous said...
Diff'rent Strokes to move the, Diff'rent Strokes to move the wooooorrrrrlldd. Watchutalkinbout Trevor!

Trevor Holloway said...
While the "different strokes" mentality may be popular in our politically correct world, it is absolutely antithetical to Scripture. Jesus calls us to be "all in" (Matt. 16:24) and I am afraid that many of us fail to recognize that our lethargic attitudes in the areas I wrote about are discipleship issues. In fact, Jesus was saw right through the people who were not all in - "the crowds" in the synoptics. (Check out Luke 14:25-33. Renouncing all that we have includes our selfishness that we so cleverly individual freedom or rights. As Christians, we are called to give up our rights and selfishness to fully follow Christ.) These people, "the crowds" showed up when they wanted to and where they wanted to and when the bar was raised on them to deny themselves and follow Christ fully, they bawked. I'm afraid many of us are naive to the possibility that our 'different strokes' mentality/actions may place us in "the crowds" and not in "the twelve." Respectfully, TH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your interpretation of the verses you cited. However, you misinterpreted my comment. All I'm saying is, if you're a rich white guy living on Park Ave., you should probably adopt two poor black kids from Harlem. After all, Leviticus 19:18 says to "love thy neighbor as thyself."

Also, if you are those 2 black kids, you should follow Leviticus 19:32 - "Show your fear of God by standing up in the prescence of elderly people and showing respect for Mr. Drummond, er... the aged."

Trevor Holloway said...

Sorry for misinterpreting you and great insight on the point your real point.