Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I'm a Christian But I March to the Beat of my Own Drum (Part 2)

I was made aware that maybe not everybody would read the title to my last blog and have the reaction that I wrote about. In fact, I was told that it could be that some (most?) people might read that title and say, "Yeah! Me too!" So, I should add that if you read that title and it gave you a positive vibe, you fail the test - big time! Why? Because Jesus calls us to march to the beat of His drum and this is done through a multitude of ways including, but not limited to: acknowledging and living out the authority of his Word over our lives (2 Tim. 3:16-18), joyfully submitting to the spiritual authority he has placed over us (Hebrews 13:17), and doing our journey with other believers by our side to encourage, exhort, teach, and rebuke us (Hebrews 10:24-25).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diff'rent Strokes to move the, Diff'rent Strokes to move the wooooorrrrrlldd.

Watchutalkinbout Trevor!

Trevor Holloway said...

While the different strokes mentality may be popular in our politically correct world, it is absolutely antithetitical to Scripture. Jesus calls us to be "all in" and I am afraid that many of us fail to recognize that our lathargic attitutes in the areas I wrote about are discipleship issues. In fact, Jesus was saw right through the people who were not all in - "the crowds" in the synoptics. These people showed up when and where they wanted to and when the bar was raised on them to deny themselves and follow Christ fully, they bawked. I'm afraid many of us are naive to the possibility that our 'different strokes' actions may place us in "the crowds" and not in "the twelve." Too often, we on the otherhand, are more interested in the crowds than we are "the twelve." Respectfully, TH