Monday, June 25, 2007

Confessions of a Lazy Husband

It is amazing how quickly we can go from 'super-husband' (atleast in our own mind) to 'stereo-typical, lazy husband.' We go from stopping to pick up flowers on the way home from work to stopping on the couch when we get home from work. I know some would say, "That's what happens over time; you get used to eachother and that is not a bad thing." I would have to radically disagree with that! I hope I never get used to my wife; I hope and pray that I would follow God's design for marriage as seen in Song of Solomon - a growing infatuation with the pure beauty of my amazing wife which drives me to study her more and more so that I can please her exponentially with the love and romance that I lavish on her.

However, I confess that this has not been the case for me over the last few months. I have stooped into lazy, romanceless husband mode. What a drag! Not only have I been robbing Elizabeth from the joys of romance and adventure, but I have been robbing myself of the unspeakable joy that comes with passionately loving my wife as I see her excitement, love, and passion for me grow. Oh how true it is when Paul wrote to the Ephesians, "He who loves his wife loves himself" (Eph. 5:28).

If you have stooped into this joyless slump, I want to make two recommendations to you. First, read Song of Solomon. Second, pick up the book, Sex, Romance and the Glory of God, by C.J. Mahaney.

Well, I'm off to a great little pastry shop here in town called "Sweet Dreams" to get Elizabeth one of their delicious cup cakes - she is going to love it!

1 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

As a single guy, I have little to say on the subject. But, Leston preached a great sermon on the Ephesians marriage passage on Sunday. Here's the link:

http://www.kishwaukeebiblechurch.org/ra/20070624.mp3

I do know, though, that since our role and purpose in marriage is to display Christ, everything in our flesh is going to fight that purpose. Christian marriage is not natural or of our flesh.

Keep striving, brother. I haven't seen your indifference...only your love.